Monday, August 27, 2007

August Bloom


Blackberry Lily, Belamcanda chinensis

Each blossom lasts only a day, but the plant produces new blossoms for several weeks. This plant started to blossom in the second week of August, and it's still going strong.

Seeds from this plant sprouted into these seedlings back in June. They really started to grow once I transplanted them to individual pots. The largest is now ten inches tall.

The GreenGirls are talking about a September plant swap. If that happens, I'll bring a few of these plants to share.

Here's a close up of one of the blossoms.

2 comments:

kris said...

That is so pretty. Do you do a lot of plants from seed? I've never really gotten into that - but maybe...

(it's been a long time since I've been here evidently - you've been busy posting!!)

Peter Hoh said...

This was the only plant I tried to grow from seed this year. I had a few volunteers that came from seeds in the garden or in the compost. I'd like to start more plants from seed, but there's only so much time.