Tuesday, July 17, 2007
My blackberry lily produces a great number of seeds. Black and full, they are as big as ordinary peppercorns, and almost as hard when dried. I kept some aside through the winter, hoping to start them in the spring. When mid-April rolled around, I put some in a little 4-inch pot. I watered and watched. Weeks passed. Then a month. Nothing.
Wondering if the seeds were good, I placed a few between moist paper towels to see if I could get them to sprout. I even nicked a few of the hard seed casings, as I know that can help other hard seeds (like morning glories) germinate. For a couple of weeks, I faithfully kept those paper towels moist. Still, not a sign of life from any of the seeds.
I forgot about the little 4-inch pot, but as it was among some other potted transplants, it kept getting water. A few weeks ago, I noticed that most of the seeds had sprouted. And then I started seeing little seedlings here and there around the garden.
These grew from seeds I scattered about last autumn. They are a little shorter than their siblings in the pot, but I won't have to worry about transplanting them.
Another lesson learned. Some things can't be forced.