Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Lead me not into temptation . . .


I've been going to the Friends School Plant Sale for 10 years or so. When the sale was at the school, I limited myself to what I could haul home in a wagon. After the sale moved to the State Fair Grandstand, I went overboard a few times and filled the minivan. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not in my budget this year.

Last year, I finally made the trek to Gerten's. Wow. The kid-in-a-candy-store metaphor doesn't do it justice. It wasn't just the plants and the variety of tools and the size of the containers. They had piles of huge boulders, sorted by type. You want a piece of banded hematite the size of a small car? They probably have several to choose from.

This year, I've promised myself to keep plant purchases to a minimum. This tray of plants came from The Vagary, one of my favorite vendors at the downtown St. Paul Farmers' Market.

Cost: less than $20. Not a bad way to satisfy the urge to splurge.

No comments: