Friday, August 10, 2007

Tomato Blues


I guess I shouldn't be complaining. At least I'm getting tomatoes. But this variety, "Yellow Magic," has been a disappointment. It looks sort of like a pepper, both on the vine and when cut. All could be forgiven, except that it doesn't taste very good. A couple of garden reference sites recommend these for stuffing. That is, hollow them out and stuff them with tasty stuff.

Stuffing tomatoes is not for me. I'd rather stuff myself with tomatoes.


As for these green tomatoes, the label says "Jersey Devil," but they look like "Green Zebra." A little too juicy to slice for sandwiches, they are great in salads. I don't mind the label mix up, even though "Jersey Devil" was the only red tomato I planned to plant this year.

Compost volunteers to the rescue, however, as it seems that I have a "Brandywine" growing out of my compost bin.

2 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

I had tomatoes like this last year, and I was disappointed too. One thing I can suggest is to make a chutney out of them. Mine wasn't too bad, and at least you're not wasting them.

Peter Hoh said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.