Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sunday Survey 2


Don Engebretson, who writes under the name, The Renegade Gardener, strongly recommends that gardeners take the time to learn the Latin names of the plants they grow. So I'm taking the challenge, and I'll start by learning the names of the plants that are blooming this week.

BULB PERENNIALS
Globe Allium, Allium (photo above)
Daffodil, Narcissus
Grape hyacinth, Muscari
Tulips, Tulipa

PERENNIALS
Bugleweed, Ajuga reptans
Candytuft, Iberis sempervirens 'Purity'
Columbine, Aquilegia blue and red varieties
Dead nettle, Lamium
Lily of the Valley, Convallaria
Lungwort Pulmonaria
Oriental poppy, Papaver
Prairie Smoke, Geum triflorum
Snowdrop Anemone, Anemone sylvestris
Strawberries, Fragaria
Violets, Viola

SHRUBS
Dwarf Korean lilac, Syringa meyeri
Spirea, Spirea (variety unknown, white blossoms)

SELF-SEEDING ANNUALS
Violas, Viola

The internet is a very useful tool for finding the Latin names. So is the Friends School Plant Sale catalog. As for the tags that came with plants I purchased? They're squirreled away here and there, but I can't seem to find the ones I want when I go looking for them. Perhaps next winter I can organize my plant tags.

No comments: